Welcome to the City of Taylor Animal Shelter home page. You can adopt an animal by visiting the shelter between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. If you have any questions or need any type of assistance from the Taylor Animal shelter, please contact us at (734) 287-6550 or email.
Low-cost wellness and vaccine clinics
WEDNESDAYS, JUNE 8 AND 22: Two low-cost wellness and vaccine clinics with Dr. John Hermann will be held at the shelter from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Cash, checks and Visa and Mastercard accepted methods of payment.
DECIDING TO ADOPT
We want to thank you for considering adopting one of our homeless pets from the Taylor Animal Shelter. But before you begin the adoption process, we would like you to consider the choice you are about to make and what kind of pet would be best for your family, home and lifestyle.
In addition to adoption fees there are many ongoing expenses when you own a pet. Here is a short list of expenses:
- Annual pet license with the city you live in.
- Supplies: Bowls, toys, leashes, litter, crates, etc.
- Food and treats: Some pets can be picky or have medical needs that require special and more expensive food.
- Routine and emergency medical care.
- Training and socialization.
- Boarding and caring for the pet when you travel.
- Damage that a pet may cause to your property
Some questions you need to consider:
- If you live in an apartment or rent a home is there any restrictions that can prevent you from having a pet?
- Are you expecting any major life changes over the next few months?
- Do you have the funds for unforeseen expenses? Such as emergency medical care for your pet.
When considering a new pet is your household (and everyone in it) ready for the changes and time that comes along with per ownership:
- Is your property ready for a pet?
- Is your yard secure?
- Does your landlord or property manager give you permission to own a pet? Is there breed or size restrictions?
- Is anyone in the house allergic to pets?
- When choosing a pet consider its energy level and exercise needs. Is your lifestyle more active or a couch potato or somewhere in-between?
- If you travel frequently can you arrange for care of your pet when you are out of town?
- Everyone in the household will be part of pet’s new life. Are they ready for it? This would include:
- Cleaning up pet waste.
- Providing interaction and enrichment.
OTHER GENERAL FACTS ABOUT OUR SHELTER
The Taylor Animal Shelter provides many services, such as animal adoptions, lost and found animals, licensing, animal rescue within the city, and responding to the complaints of residents regarding neglected and loose animals.
Stray or injured animals
Any stray or injured domestic animal may be brought to the shelter for no charge if you’re a resident of Taylor. The shelter is located on Northline Road between the Department of Public Works Building and Lakes of Taylor Golf Club.
If you are in search of a pet, consider adoption from the Taylor Animal Shelter. Many are available throughout the year.
The Taylor Animal Shelter will not accept any wildlife brought to the facility. It is against the law to transport wildlife without the proper permit. If you see a wild animal that needs to be sheltered, please call the shelter and Animal Control Officers will be dispatched to pick it up.Rat Poison can be picked up at the Animal Shelter during normal business hours.
BISSELL Partners for Pets!
The Taylor Animal Shelter is a member of the BISSELL Partners for Pets program. The program enables the shelter to receive donations, grants, and giveaways from the BISSELL Pet Foundation.