Sex Offender Registration


The Sex Offenders Registration Act, MCL 28.721et seq., directs the Michigan State Police to develop and maintain a public registry and provides guidelines on the type of offender information available to the public. The registration requirements of the Sex Offenders Registration Act are intended to provide the people of this state with an appropriate, comprehensive, and effective means to monitor those persons who pose such a potential danger. This link reflects the current statute and due to continuous legislative changes, may not be indicative of the statute at the time the offender was convicted.

View the Michigan Public Sex Offender Registry.

What are The Registry Responsibilities of Sex Offenders?

  • They must maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license or personal identification card.
  • They must not reside, work or loiter in a student safety zone.
  • They must pay an annual $50 fee.
  • They must report any change of address within ten (10) days of moving.
  • They must report attendance or employment (or any change of attendance or employment) at an institution of higher learning.
  • They must report employment.
  • They must sign all required registration forms.
  • They must verify their address yearly.

How Do I Obtain Additional Information on an Offense Committed by a Registered Offender?

If you know the county in which the offense was committed, you can contact the court of conviction to request a copy of the court file. A complete directory of Michigan Trial Courts can be found on the Michigan Courts website.

If you do not know the county in which the offense was committed, you can obtain a copy of the criminal history record (CHR) through the internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT). The criminal history record will include the county in which the offense occurred. You can then contact the court of conviction and request a copy of the court file. A search on ICHAT requires the individual’s name and date of birth. There is a $10 fee per search. Access ICHAT

A conviction will not appear on a criminal history check if the offender has a sealed or expunged record or was convicted in another state.