Public comment is now open concerning a proposed Taylor-Dearborn Heights Van Born Gateway “district overlay.” Comments are welcome electronically by emailing Planning Department Director Lora Fell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Title your email, "Van Born Gateway District Overlay."
Two study sessions will be held on this proposal: 6 p.m. January 19, and 6 p.m. February 2. Comments will be accepted until such time as a public hearing, tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, February 16.
The proposal is part of an eventual Van Born Corridor Improvement Plan involving Taylor, Dearborn Heights and Wayne County.
The overlay district is being proposed for the following purposes:
- To enhance the appearance of both cities by introducing site and building design requirements that will enhance the chart of the Gateway district, proposed on Van Born between Inkster and Pelham roads.
- To support economic development within the Gateway overlay district be improving the overall sense of place.
- To create a positive impression of the cities and to provide an attractive introduction to the communities.
- To protect the public health, safety and welfare of the residents of the cities through coordinated land use regulations.
- To improve the vehicular and pedestrian safety of the residents and visitors through land use regulations and physical improvements.
- To provide a mechanism for retrofitting previously developed sites in conformance with these regulations through incentives.
- To improve the sustainability through increased landscaping that break-up large areas of impervious surfaces, provide shade, control noise and dust, buffer and screen incompatible land uses, and promote a safe environment with an overall pleasant appears and that facilitate circulation.
- To maximize retention of existing trees, shrubs, and other natural and environmentally sensitive areas which are deemed a valuable resource.
- To ensure a coordinated effort between the cities of Taylor and Dearborn Heights through adoption of the same regulations and procedures within the Gateway overlay district.
Click here to download map of Van Born Gateway Overlay District
Click here for a detailed draft of the proposal
Click here for Van Born Overlay District uses and parking recommendations