Charges issued in death of Taylor police Cpl. Matthew Edwards

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy has charged Tyress Trearndos Mathews, 36, of Westland in connection with the July 23, 2010, shooting on the 12000 block of Pine Street in Taylor that resulted in the death of Taylor police Cpl. Matthew Edwards.     

On Friday, July 23, at approximately 5:47 a.m., Cpl. Edwards and Cpl. Gregory Piche of the Taylor Police Department responded to a radio dispatch run of a breaking and entering in progress on the 12000 block of Pine Street in Taylor. Cpl. Edwards and Cpl. Piche arrived at the scene, saw a window screen off and lying on the ground and observed the defendant leaning on a minivan parked outside of the residence. The officers exited their vehicle, and Mathews approached them, carrying a bag. Mathews allegedly had an argument with his wife and claimed he needed to re-enter their apartment to get his keys.

While Mathews was with Cpl. Edwards it is alleged that he fired a hand gun, fatally striking him. Cpl. Edwards fell to the ground and the defendant continued firing the weapon. Mathews turned to run with the hand gun and the bag when Cpl. Piche and Mathews exchanged gunfire.

Several Taylor police officers arrived at the scene. Cpl. Edwards was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The defendant was also taken to the hospital and is currently being treated.

Defendant Mathews has been charged with premeditated murder 1, a felony punishable by life in prison without parole; murder of a peace officer, a felony punishable by life in prison without parole; assault with intent to murder, a felony punishable by life or any term of years; felon in possession, a felony punishable by five years in prison; felony firearm, a mandatory two-year sentence, and as a Habitual 4th Offender, which is punishable by life if the primary offense has penalty of five years or more.  

“Cpl. Edwards from all accounts was a committed and well respected law enforcement professional," said Prosecutor Worthy. "He dedicated his life to making Taylor a safe place to live and died tragically in the line of duty. We owe a debt of gratitude to Cpl. Edwards, who was taken from his family and the law enforcement community much too soon."  

The Taylor Police Department will be making arrangements for the defendant to be arraigned. However, an arraignment is not expected this weekend.

Chief of Police Dale Tamsen said: "I would ask the community to continue to keep Cpl. Edwards’ family in their prayers and in the days to come, as his family tries to comprehend the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident.

“I would also like to thank the community and other police agencies for the outpouring of support shown to our department at this time. The response has been incredible and our department will now try to start the healing process.”

Taylor, Michigan