COUNTY SCHEDULES HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE DAYS
Wayne County is holding three household hazardous waste collection events, with the next one scheduled for Saturday in Belleville.
Belleville Household Hazardous Waste Collection: Saturday May 3, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wayne County Community College District Western Campus, 9555 Haggerty Road, Belleville.
Dearborn Household Hazardous Waste Collection: Saturday, June 28, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Henry Ford Community College, 5101 Evergreen Road, Dearborn.
Westland Household Hazardous Waste Collection: Saturday, August 16, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Westland Shopping Center lot behind JC Penney.
Items that are accepted include:
- household paints, stains, dyes
- floor care items, furniture polish, bathroom cleaners
- lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers
- antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline
- automotive batteries, dry cell batteries, propane tanks
- old computers, printers, scanners, TV’s, cell phones, fax machines
- mercury containing thermometers, thermostats and elemental mercury
- fluorescent light bulbs (standard and compact)
- smoke detectors, fire extinguishers
- Pharmaceutical Waste (Non –controlled Substances only)
Items that are not accepted:
- commerical waste, industrial waste
- ammunition, explosives
- 55-gallon drums
- radioactive materials
- unknown, unlabeled waste
- shock sensitive materials
- household trash
For a list of facilities that accept HHW year-round and for information on non-toxic alternatives, refer to the Wayne County Resource Recovery Guide.
Residents are encouraged to bring in mercury fever thermometers for disposal. Mercury is a toxic substance and can cause serious health effects if released into a home or the environment.
For more information, please contact Wayne County’s Resource Recovery Coordinator at (734) 326-3936.