Defendant arraigned on murder charges in shooting death of Taylor police officer

Tyress Trearndos Mathews, 36, of Westland, was arraigned August 10, 2010, in his hospital bed on charges that he murdered a Taylor police officer.

Judge Geno Salomone of the 23rd District Court formally arraigned defendant Mathews in the defendant’s hospital room on Tuesday.

A plea of not guilty was entered for Mathews, who will be held without bond. A preliminary examination is scheduled for 1 p.m. September 21.

Mathews has been charged with premeditated murder 1, a felony punishable by life in prison without parole; murder of a peace officer, a felony punishable by life in prison without parole; assault with intent to murder, a felony punishable by life or any term of years; felon in possession, a felony punishable by five years in prison; felony firearm, which carries a mandatory two-year sentence; and as a habitual fourth offender, which is punishable by life if the primary offense has a penalty of five Years or more.

Mathews is charged in connection with the July 23, 2010, shooting in the 12000 block of Pine Street in Taylor that resulted in the death of Taylor Police Department Cpl. Matthew Edwards.

At approximately 5:47 a.m., Cpl. Edwards and his Taylor police partner responded to a radio dispatch run of a breaking and entering in progress. The officers arrived at the scene, saw a window screen off and lying on the ground and observed the defendant leaning on a minivan parked outside of the residence. The officers exited their vehicle and Mathews approached them, carrying a bag. Mathews allegedly had an argument with his wife and claimed he needed to re-enter their apartment to get his keys.

While Mathews was with Cpl. Edwards, it is alleged that the defendant fired a handgun, fatally striking the officer. Cpl. Edwards fell to the ground and the defendant continued firing the weapon. Mathews turned to run with the handgun and the bag when Cpl. Edwards’ partner and Mathews exchanged gunfire.

Several Taylor police officers arrived at the scene. Cpl. Edwards was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The defendant was also taken to the hospital and is currently being treated.

Taylor Chief of Police Dale Tamsen said: "I would ask the community to continue to keep Cpl. Edwards’ family in their prayers and in the days to come as his family tries to comprehend the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident."

“I would also like to thank the community and other police agencies for the outpouring of support shown to our department at this time,” Tamsen said.  “The response has been incredible and our department will now try to start the healing process.”