FAQ-Clerk's Office


How do I register to vote?
To register to vote you must be . . .
•    a U.S. citizen;
•    at least 18 years of age by election day;
•    a resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.

Where can I register?

You can register to vote for federal, state, and local elections by mail; at your county, city, or township clerk's office; or by visiting any Secretary of State Branch office. You can access the mail in registration application here http://www.cityoftaylor.com/files/clerk/MIVoterRegistration_97046_7.pdf

When must I register?

You must register at least 30 days before the election. You must also re-register to vote whenever you move to a new city or township.

I’m a first-time voter. What do I need to know?

If you have never voted in Michigan and register by mail, you must appear in person to vote in the first election in which you wish to participate. This requirement does not apply if (1) you personally hand deliver the mail registration form to your county, city or township clerk's office instead of mailing the form (2) you are 60 years of age or more (3) you are disabled or (4) you are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act.

How do I receive an Absentee Ballot?

You must contact your city clerk to request an absentee ballot application. You may also obtain and absentee ballot application form on line through the City’s web site. Your request for an absentee voter ballot must be in writing and can be submitted to your city clerk. http://www.cityoftaylor.com/system/files/sdms/absent-voter-ballot-request.pdf  Absentee voter ballots are available for all elections. They provide voters with a convenient method for casting a ballot when they are unable to attend the polls on Election Day.
As a registered voter, you may obtain an absentee voter ballot if you are:

•    age 60 years old or older
•    unable to vote without assistance at the polls
•    expecting to be out of town on election day
•    in jail awaiting arraignment or trial
•    unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons
•    appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence.

Can you tell me if I’m registered to vote?

You may check on-line by following this link https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/mivote/ or by calling 734-287-6550.

Where do I go to vote?

Your polling and precinct number are located on your voter ID card. If you do not have your voter ID card, you may obtain this information by clicking this link: https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/mivote or by calling 734-287-6550.

I lost my voter registration card. Do I need it to vote? How do I get a new one?

You do not need to present a voter registration card in order to vote. Contact your city clerk in order to receive a new voter registration card.

Do I need identification in order to vote?

State and Federal law requires a photo ID to be submitted at the polls. Some acceptable forms are:
•    Driver’s License
•    State ID
•    Student ID, with photo
•    Passport
•    Military ID, with photo
•    Tribal ID, with photo

What if I forget my picture ID on Election Day?

In order to vote on Election Day without providing a picture ID, you will be required to sign an Affidavit of Voter not in Possession of Picture ID. This form is available at the polling location.

I still need more information.  Where can I go?

For more information regarding elections, visit the Michigan Secretary of State's Web site at: http://www.michigan.gov/sos


Do I need a business license?
If you have a business located in a commercial establishment, YES, you need a business license. If you are working from your home, the City does not license your business.

How do I obtain a business license?
If you are establishing a new business you must submit a Letter of Intent to the Planning Department.
If you are an established business, you can renew your business license by completing a business license application and submitting it to the City for processing.

What is the cost of a business license?
The cost of a business license varies and is determined by the type of business and the square footage of your location. Contact the city at 734-287-6500 for your fee amount.

How often must I renew my business license?
Your business license is valid for two years from the date which you applied.

Do I need a license to distribute flyers and is there a fee?
Yes, prior to distributing any flyers, you need to apply for a handbill permit. The fee is $30.00 per year.

Can I do door-to-door sales? If yes, is there a fee involved?
Yes, prior to soliciting door-to-door you must apply for a Peddler’s License. We require a $25,000 Surety Bond, a $50.00 application fee and a mandatory background check at a cost of $20.00 per person.

Where can I obtain a Surety Bond?
The State of Michigan has an authorized listing of companies that provide Surety Bonds. Follow this link for the listing. http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,1607,7-154-10555_13251_13262-32118--,00.html

Does the City require a special license for the sale of precious metals, second hand goods, and the operation of amusement devices?
Yes, you must apply for a special license for each of them.

  •   A separate fee of $50.00 each applies to Precious Metal and Second Hand Licenses. Click here for application.
  •   Amusement devices must be approved by the City Council and separate fees apply. Call (734) 287-6550 for more information.

Do I need a license to sell ice cream from a truck in the City Of Taylor?
Yes. Requirements are as follows: $20.00 Background Check Fee, $30.00 Vehicle Inspection Fee and a $50.00 License Fee.

Applications for all of the above mentioned licenses can be obtained from the City Of Taylor’s website at: http://www.cityoftaylor.com/city-clerk-forms

To obtain further information regarding licensing, please visit the following website for the City Ordinances

How do I obtain a Taxi Cab License?
All taxi cab companies that pick-up fares in the City Of Taylor are required to be approved by the city council and require a license. The license fee is $500.00 per year, plus a $30.00 vehicle inspection fee and a $20.00 background check for all drivers. If you only drop off your fare in Taylor, no license is required.

How do I dispose of a refrigerator, freezer or air conditioner?            
Refrigerant bearing items, i.e. refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners must be properly tagged. Residents may purchase a sticker for ($30.00) Thirty dollars (NON-REFUNDABLE) at the Taylor City Hall.

Death and Birth Certificates FAQ

The City of Taylor has on file the birth and the death records for individuals who were either born in the City of Taylor or were declared deceased within the City of Taylor ONLY.

How do I obtain a certified copy of a death record and how much do they cost?
Certified copies of death records can be obtained through the City Clerk’s office located at 23555 Goddard Road, Taylor, MI 48180 or may be requested by mail. Mail requests are to include: the name of the decedent, the date of death (if known), the name, address and telephone number of the requestor, the number of copies requested, and a check or money order make out to the City of Taylor in the correct amount.
The copy of the first certified record is $15.00; additional copies are $5.00 each.

How do I obtain a certified copy of a birth record and how much do they cost?
Certified copies of birth records can be obtained through the City Clerk’s office located at 23555 Goddard Road, Taylor, MI 48180. The copy of the first certified record is $15.00; additional copies are $5.00 each.

Can anyone obtain copies of death or birth records?

Death records are public records and are available to the public. Birth records are only available to persons listed on the record, such as the parent or the person them self. Photo ID must be shown and a short form completed.

Frequently Requested Telephone Numbers:

The Wayne County Clerk’s office is responsible for Marriage Licenses, Assumed Names for Businesses (DBA’s), Permit to Carry Concealed Weapons (CCW), and Passport Services. They can be contacted at 313-224-6262 or visit them online at http://www.waynecounty.com/clerk.htm