FROZEN PIPES? Here are some tips
Extreme cold can freeze water pipes even inside your home. The City of Taylor has been receiving telephone inquiries on the subject.
Here are some tips:
- Check your faucets to see if all areas of your home are affected, or if the problem is just limited to a single spot in your home
- Attempt to thaw frozen pipes by opening cabinet doors to expose the pipes and/or using a heat source WITHOUT A FLAME. NEVER APPLY DIRECT HEAT WITH AN OPEN FLAME DEVICE!
- If you know that you have a problem, find the water shut off valve to your home. If repairs need to be made, shutoff the water to the home until they are finished
- If you cannot troubleshoot the problem yourself -- if you cannot locate the problem, or if you cannot reach the problem -- call a professional plumber
Additional steps include:
- If you have water pipes in your garage, keep the garage doors closed
- Open cabinets under kitchen and bathroom sinks to spread warm air around
- If you have exposed pipes, let the water drip. Even a small drip will prevent freezing
- If your home or business is not in use, winterize the plumbing fixtures
For more on the issue, click here to go to the American Red Cross Website.