The Holly McGeogh Memorial Scholarship
The award was named The Holly McGeogh Memorial Scholarship in honor of Army Specialist Holly McGeogh, a 2002 Truman High School graduate, who was killed in a bomb blast in the war in Iraq in January 2004. McGeogh, who was 19 years old, was planning to attend college when she returned home from the army.
The Taylor F.O.P. accepts donations from any individuals or businesses that are interested in contributing to the fund. The FOP awards two (2) $1,000 scholarships, one going to a graduate from each Taylor high school. Anyone interested in contributing to The Holly McGeogh Memorial Scholarship can send a check payable to the Taylor Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #123, 23515 Goddard Road, Taylor, MI 48180 to the attention of Mary Sclabassi. Please indicate that the check is a donation for the scholarship fund.
Taylor high school seniors who will be attending an accredited college or university beginning in the 2010-11 school year are eligible for the scholarship.
Applicants need to obtain an application from their high school counselor or from the Taylor Police Department. Students will also be required to submit at least two letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or member of law enforcement; a certified copy of their high school transcript and a 500-word essay highlighting their educational and career goals.
The deadline for submitting an application is traditionally sometime in May. The application packet must be submitted to Mary Sclabassi, Taylor Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #123, 23515 Goddard Road, Taylor, MI 48180. For further information, contact Commander Mary Sclabassi at (734) 374-1531.
- A high school senior currently in the Taylor School District.
- Must be a resident of Taylor
- In need of financial assistance in order to continue higher education.
- For the purpose of tuition at an accredited college or university.
- Acceptance by an accredited college or university and planning to attend the 2009-2010 school year.
- Two (2) $1,000 academic awards to be paid directly to the students’ school of choice for tuition.
- Must currently have a 2.5 cumulative grade-point average & must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours.
- Deadline for submission—Call for details.
- A completed application form.
- At least two (2) letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or member of law enforcement on letterhead.
- A certified copy of high school transcript.
- A 500-word typed essay on your goals and why you are deserving of the scholarship. Place your name in the upper right hand corner of your essay and attach to the application.
- All items to be submitted together to Mary Sclabassi, Taylor Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #123, 23515 Goddard Road, Taylor, MI 48180 by May 8, 2010.
- Applications are available from your high school counselor or the Taylor Police Department. Questions can be directed to the Taylor Police Department at (734) 374-1531.
- All scholarships will be awarded by the Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Finalists may be required to appear before the committee for a brief personal interview.