RELAY FOR LIFE EFFORTS GATHER STEAM
The American Cancer Society’s 12th Relay for Life of Taylor will officially get underway at 10 a.m. on May 17, as event volunteers and participants gather at Heritage Park to launch their fundraising efforts for the American Cancer Society.
Heritage Park is located at Pardee and Northline.
Teams will begin their relay walk with team members circling a track around Coan Lake. Their slogan and motivation this year is “Finish the Fight.”
Relay For Life is the society’s signature event, dedicated to increasing awareness and raising funds to fight all types of cancer. Teams of relatives, friends and co-workers campout overnight and take turns walking the track. During the event, participants and visitors will have a chance to celebrate the victory of cancer survivors during the “Survivors Lap.” They remember those lost to the disease during the poignant “Luminaria Ceremony” at dusk and participate in the “Fight Back Ceremony” in the early evening. Combined, these give everyone a chance to proclaim their fight against the disease
Residents of the surrounding areas are invited to play games, participate in silent auctions, purchase craft items or walk alongside the relay members in support of the fight against cancer. This is an exciting event that will pave the way to a world with less cancer – and more birthdays.
For more information or to start your own team, go to www.relayforlife.org/taylormi
Remember that Taylor Relay for Life Team Captain meetings are scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday, April 3, 17 and May 1, and 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 13, at the William Ford Senior Activities Center.
For more information, contact the following:
• Elizabeth White, ACS Staff Partner, at (248) 663-3441 or email@example.com
• Stephanie Szabados, Committee Chairwoman, at Stephanie.Szabados@hovservices.com
• Sue Shufeldt, Team Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Teri Selix, Facebook and Posting Events, at email@example.com
Also take note of two upcoming Taylor Relay for Life-related events:
- The Relay for Life Team Gilliam Comedy Show is scheduled for Saturday, April 7, at the Taylor Meadows Golf Club. Tickets are $30 per person and include dinner, the comedy show (starring Ken Both and Justin Sullivan) and drink specials. Tickets can be purchased by contacting Kim Gilliam-Barbee at (734) 287-1633 or at the Taylor Meadows Pro Shop.
- Likewise, the Best of Taylor-Relay for Life team is holding a fundraiser at the Texas Roadhouse on Monday, April 7. Have dinner between 3:45 and 10 p.m. at the 14660 Pardee Road location in Taylor and 10 percent will be donated to the cause. Call ahead for seating at (734) 374-5500.
- Finally, Relay for Life Team "Rockers/Think More Than Pink" will be having their fourth annual canister drive May 2, 3, and 4 – watch for them at local street corners collecting donations.