Taylor Conservatory & Botanical Gardens
Access the Taylor Conservatory & Botanical Gardens Website page by clicking here.
Mailing Address: Box 1903, Taylor, MI 48180
Address: 22314 Northline Road, Taylor, MI 48180
Hours of Operation: Dawn to Dusk
Admission: Free, donations accepted.
The Taylor Conservatory Foundation is a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization incorporated in the State of Michigan, 2005. Its mission is creating beautiful public spaces, promoting the arts and sciences, and preserving our natural environment. It promotes positive community outcomes with its programs designed for a multitude of social, educational, and environmental needs.
The Foundation fulfills the mission by:
- Inspiring people to enhance the quality of their surroundings through the cultivation and enjoyment of flora and the arts.
- Educating children and adults with programs designed in a fun, interactive and informative way.
- Providing a beautiful and hospitable setting for the delight and inspiration of the public.
- Promoting food security through community-garden development and education.
- Increasing public awareness about the fragility of the natural environment and providing information about ways to conserve and protect it.
The Conservatory is a sculptural interpretation of the historic Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory, built in 1904 for the city of Detroit by renowned architect Albert Kahn. A lover of classical architecuture, Kahn modeled the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory after Monticello, the home of the third U.S. president, Thomas Jefferson.
DTE Energy commissioned and built this replica for Michigan’s largest flower show, the DTE Energy International Bloomfest, in 1999. In 2004, DTE Energy generously donated the structure to the City of Taylor for this project. This beautiful open-air replica is a correct-to-scale model of the famous conservatory, and serves as the unique gateway to our gardens. The handcrafted aluminum structure is more than 90 feet long, 24 feet wide and 28 feet tall. It weighs 3 tons. The conservatory does not have glass panes, but serves as the grand and elegant entrance to the botanical gardens, and to display the four-season educational displays of annuals and perennials for public enjoyment.
After a late season groundbreaking ceremony in 2006, construction began in 2007. As of 2009, the conservatory, was installed and a 2,600-square-foot terrace, public parking facilities, front garden entrance and beds, knot gardens, crushed granite pathways with mosiac inlays, surrounded by a formal hedge of eight-foot Thuga plicata ‘Atrovirens’ arborvitaes.