Midway Golf Family Fun Center called an icon of Taylor
City of Taylor officials have honored the owners of Midway Golf Family Fun Center for their service and contributions to the community.
Midway, located at 22381 Van Born Road – “midway” between Telegraph Road and the Southfield Freeway – has helped meet the region’s entertainment needs for 57 years.
Midway was opened July 4, 1951, by Wally and Jean Haliburda, who purchased a 17-acre soy bean farm in northern Taylor Township and turned the site into a golf range. The site soon became a major attraction for the community as visitors came to have fun on the golf range, trampolines, miniature golf and batting cages.
Gerry Haliburda has worked at the facility since he was 15. He took over management after the death of his father in 1968 and made many improvements, including the expanded double-deck driving range, newer batting cages and new miniature golf course, while adding go-carts, bumper cars, kiddie rides, arcade games and golf lessons.
Gerry’s son, Jerry Jr., has joined him in the business, which continues to provide fun, family entertainment.
Taylor Mayor Cameron G. Priebe called Midway “a destination place for visitors to the region and truly one of the icons of the City of Taylor.” He praised the Haliburdas for their many contributions to the community, calling Midway a “great corporate citizen."
The proclamation presented by the city’s elected officials congratulated the Haliburda’s for their 57 years in business and thanked them for “providing entertainment for generations of families from Taylor and surrounding communities.”