Sexual Assault

If you are in immediate danger, or have suffered a sexual assault, and/or need medical assistance as a result of a sexual assault, call 9-1-1 immediately or ask a neighbor to call if you are unable.  If your situation is not an emergency, but you wish to report the incident, call the Taylor Police Department non-emergency number (734) 287-6611, or come to the Taylor Police Department at 23515 Goddard Road, located just east of Telegraph Road.  All incidents of sexual assault should be reported to law enforcement.  This should be done as soon as possible after the incident to preserve evidence.  You should also seek medical attention for any injuries you may have suffered.

The legal term for rape or sexual assault in Michigan is Criminal Sexual Conduct (CSC).   The degree of CSC that an offender is charged with depends on a number of circumstances, some of which include the victim’s age, mental capacity, use of weapons or family relationship.

Making a Police Report

The criminal process is not an easy road, but most victims find it helpful.  When you report the incident, you can have a friend, relative or advocate present for support.  Have as much information as possible about the incident available for the police.  If you need to, write everything down that you can remember about the assault and the perpetrator.  When you meet with the police, an officer will interview you about the incident.  Some questions that are asked are intimate and embarrassing but are necessary for the criminal process.  The police may request you to go to the hospital or clinic for an examination.  During the examination, the physician will obtain physical evidence.

Your case will be assigned to a police investigator.  All the information the investigator gathers will be sent to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office where an arrest warrant will be requested.  The decision to prosecute belongs to the prosecutor and is based on the evidence.  Not all cases are prosecuted.  This is usually because there is not enough evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury that the defendant is guilty, not because the prosecutor or police do not believe you.

Crime Victims Rights

As a victim, you have rights to information, protection and possible compensation under the law, as established by the Crime Victims Rights Act. For further assistance or information about your rights, contact:

Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office
Victim Services Unit
(313) 224-5800

Also, click here to download the “Wayne County Council Against Family Violence”  PPO pamphlet