Walking Tour

 The Taylor Historical Society sponsored a walking tour of Heritage Park on Sunday, May 21, 2000. Buildings in the park were open to the public, and staffed with Society guides who gave the history and background of each site.  Throughout the park during the tour, there were costumed enactors, old-fashioned bicyclists, historic and unique bikes on display, Victorian-dressed people, and much more!

     Three women are dressed in original costumes made by Jackie Wakeling. They are authentic replicas of attire worn in 1850s period. They are standing in front of the Heritage West Mound Church.  The church was built in 1882, by a group of German settlers who had come to Taylor to improve their lives.  The church was dubbed West Mound as it was built on a small hill west of Wyandotte.  The church was built by William Perry who operated a lumber business in Wyandotte.   He was married to Roxanna Coan.   The Coans believed to be Taylor's first settlers, donated the property the church was built on along with the acreage for a cemetery.  The church was used by the people from West Mound Church in Taylor.   The church was used as a sanctuary until 1962, and afterwards as a day care center and youth meeting place.  The Taylor Jaycees hosted their haunted houses in the building from 1975 to 1978.  This church had been replaced by a newer facility on Eureka before it was used as a haunted house. It was located on Eureka Road in Taylor across from Southland before it was moved by the city, using Community Development Block Grant funds,  through the efforts of the Taylor Historical Society and countless volunteers, the building was relocated to Heritage Park in 1994 and fully restored to its original condition.  Replica pews, a restored pulpit and lectern, a rebuilt 1845 pipe organ and colorful stained-glass windows all add to the beautiful setting for weddings offered by the Taylor Wedding Chapel and concerts and special programs hosted by the Taylor Historical Society.

     Betty Szekley, the coordinator of the tour, explains the history of the replica town hall, in the park.  The original Township Hall was built in 1858 on Goddard Road. In 1863 the Township Hall was destroyed by fire.  Repaired the following year, the facility served as the Town Hall until 1887 when a new Town Hall was built.  At one time the building was also used as a school.  In 1959, the leaders considered moving the building to another site for preservation as a historic monument.  In 1991, Taylor School District's building trades class built this near replica.  Today, one of the Heritage Park shops is housed here.

     This log cabin is an original structure that was built in Taylor in 1850 and moved to the park from Pennsylvania Road.  Kellie Szekley and Pat Bacha provided detailed information on the history of the log cabin, as well as refreshments. This log cabin was originally situated on a 40-acre farm on Pennsylvania Road between Beech Daly and Telegraph, it was located close to old Indian burial grounds. Fred Miller donated the cabin to the City of Taylor and it was moved to Heritage Park in 1986.  Various civic organizations use the log cabin as a meeting place year round.

 
     This water-powered mill is located in Heritage Park.   There were three grist-saw mills located in Taylor.  This water wheel replica was purchased by the City of Taylor from the American Bar & Grill of Dearborn in 1989.   The Road Rangers of Taylor built the replica water-powered mill.  Once common in the area, water mills provided the power to grind corn and wheat, cut logs into lumber and crush and press fruits into cider and juices.